What is the HTB Scheme?
The HTB Scheme is an incentive designed to support First Time Buyers who want to either buy or self-build a new residential property until 31 December 2024. The HTB funds the deposit you need by refunding the Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) paid by you in the previous four tax years. When you avail of the HTB Scheme, you will be eligible for the lesser of:
- €30,000, or
- 10% of the purchase price of a new build property, or
- 10% of the approved valuation of a self-build property, or
- The amount of income tax and DIRT paid for the four years before making the application.
How do I qualify for the HTB Scheme?
- You must be a First Time Buyer
This means that you must not have previously bought or built a property individually or with someone else, in Ireland or abroad.
- Your mortgage loan to value ratio
You must apply for a mortgage of at least 70% of the purchase price or valuation approved by your lender.
The property you buy or build must be a new residential property that you intend on living in. This means that if the property you wish to purchase is an investment property, you will not be eligible for the HTB Scheme.
The purchase price of your home or the valuation of your self-build must be €500,000 or less.
You must be fully tax-compliant for the 4 years immediately before your claim.
How do I apply for the Scheme?
- You should register on Revenue’s myAccount service on Revenue.ie and complete a Form 12 (PAYE) and Form 11 (self-assessed) for each of the 4 years prior to your claim.
- You will need to upload the signed new home contract provided to you by your solicitor.
- If you are self-building your home, you will need to upload the details of your builder or developer.
- For more information on how to apply for the HTB Scheme, visit https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/documents/htb-summary-applicants.pdf.